Sunday, February 14, 2016

maui

After our wedding my California husband took me to the place many Californians go in the winter, to Hawaii. He chose his favorite island, Maui.

Maui, to a small town girl from Penfield, New York, was magic.

In the open airport the moment I arrived I felt the warm balmy air on my skin. I remember the brilliant blue ocean, a color I had only seen once when I visited Catalina Island.  I remember eating fresh papaya with a lime juice drizzle every morning, the peaceful expansive green hills upcountry, cows and sheep grazing for miles. I remember the exotic fish meals we had, with macadamia nut crust, and purple potatoes on the side. I remember walks on the soft sand that stretched for miles.

But mostly, when I think of Maui that first time, I remember the flowers -- the sweet subtle smell of plumeria, and the brilliant pinks, oranges, and red colored tropical flowers growing everywhere, just bursting with joy to be alive.

3 comments:

  1. I've never been to Hawaii, but you make it sounds amazing even on your first impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawaii sounds amazing. Always wanted to visit it :)

    xo
    MONDAY PROJECTS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wondered about Hawaii as well. I feel it's sinful to say "one day" to Hawaii. Travel does feed creativity!

    ReplyDelete