Thursday, February 11, 2016

dreaming up a journey

Mt Tamalpais, Mill Valley California


I married a man I dreamed up in high school. 

As a freshman I was part of a huge cast in the school play, and there was this cute senior named Rick. He was so sweet to everyone and he played the piano. Everyone would gather around to sing with him. I decided then and there that I would marry a man like that.

Eleven years later I was living and working in Washington DC and I took a trip to visit a friend who had just moved to Berkeley. She showed me all around northern California. I loved the beauty and spirit of the area – biking in the mountains, exploring the secluded craggy beaches.   From her house I could walk to the enormous Whole Foods Market on Telegraph Avenue, and wander around the famous U.C. Berkeley campus.  

I didn’t know why but I felt so at home there. Being a small town girl I was usually a little anxious in cities. But not Berkeley. I felt so welcome there.

I don’t know if it was the fragrance of the eucalyptus trees, the warmth of the friendly sun, the vibe of the people, or something else. But the atmosphere in northern California permeated my being and made me want to stay.

A year passed and I decided to revisit my friend in northern California. During this trip I met my piano man who was living in Mill Valley amongst the redwoods. I fell in love with him and was already in love with California. So I decided to move there to see if the relationship with California and my piano man would last.

I'm so glad I did. Two years later we were married in our back yard in Mill Valley.


1 comment:

  1. I love the idea that you manifested your True Love. Yes! It can happen and truly enjoyed this post!!

    ReplyDelete